The functions of Directorate of PRI are listed in the Rules of Business of the Government of Punjab. These include:
Production of poultry products
- Applied Research in different disciplines to improve productive performance
- Selection & breeding to improve productive potential of native breeds
- Distribution of better productive birds in rural areas
- Punjab poultry production Statistics
Poultry diseases through effective surveillance
- Surveillance of poultry diseases and their control
- Provision of Clinical & Lab. Disease Diagnostic facilities to farmers
- Postmortem & Bird Treatment through PDDL
- Lab samples testing
- Provision of analytical facilities to the farmers
- Collaboration to check emerging disease out breaks
- Strengthening of stakeholder linkages through meetings, exhibitions, seminars etc.
- To attend farmers seeking help/ guidance
- Provision of extension services for vaccination, Treatment, deworming, spraying etc.
Human Resource Development
- Capacity building of institutional staff
- Strengthening institutional collaboration in HRD
- Provision of need based training to male and female farmers
- Provision of professional trainings to generate skilled manpower for improved employment opportunity
Poultry marketing & supply chain management
- Data collection of production, availability & price of poultry & its products
- Value Chain Analysis
Regulatory control in poultry sector
- Enforcement of Punjab Animals Feedstuff & Compound Feeds Act ,2016 to regulate manufacturing, production, storage, transportation & marketing of poultry feedstuff and feeds
- Enforcement of Punjab Poultry Production Act, 2016 to regulate proximity, management & bio-security.
Disease Diagnosis facilities
- Diagnostic laboratories in public & private sector
- Disease surveillance
- Contingency / Emergency plan measures
- Research on identification, control & development of vaccine from local isolates
- Consultative meetings, seminars & conference
- Control through mass vaccination campaigns
- Isolation & identification of pathogens
- Serological diagnosis of viral diseases through HA, HI, AGPT tests for ND, AI
- ELISA technique for AI, IBD, IB, Mycotoxins etc.
- Antigen preparation for viral diseases (ND, AI, MG & MS etc from local isolates.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- Phylogenetic analysis.
- Strain identification.
- Molecular epidemiological studies.
- Spot agglutination test. MG, MS.
- Isolation & Identification of MG, MS.